fbpx

Call Us: (07) 3890 4533

INFORMATION FOR NEW PUPPY OWNERS

VACCINATIONS
It is important to protect your new puppy against deadly diseases. A set of three vaccines is required to provide immunity to these diseases:
Vaccine Age Vaccinates against
C4 6 to 8 weeks of age Parvovirus, Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza
C5 10 weeks of age As above, plus two agents causing kennel cough (Bordetella bronchiseptica + parainfluenza virus).
C4 12 weeks of age Parvovirus, distemper, hepatitis, Parainfluenza

After this, an annual booster vaccination is required to ensure immunity remains strong. This also provides a great chance to have your dog health checked by a vet – remember, dogs age at about seven times the rate that humans do meaning annual health checks are vital to pick up any early signs of illness/disease.
NOTE: With the above vaccination protocol, most puppies will be protected 14 days after the C5 vaccination. This means that your puppy will be ok to visit the park and meet other dogs around the 12 week mark. The 3rd C4 booster is designed to boost the immunity especially for those puppies that may not have responded fully to the 2nd booster. HEARTWORM (DIROFILARIA IMMITIS)
Heartworm is spread through mosquitos, can be life threatening and is very difficult to treat if your pet contracts this nasty parasite. We recommend prevention with a Proheart (SR12) injection at 12 weeks of age. As your puppy is still growing, they will require a booster heartworm injection at about 6 months of age. After this, the heartworm injection is done annually and can be performed at the same time as the vaccination. Alternatively, monthly heartworm treatments can be given. Such products include Nexgard Spectra or Milpro.

INTESTINAL WORMING
The most common intestinal parasites include hookworm, roundworm, whipworm and tapeworm. It is important to ensure your puppy is up to date with worming as these parasites present a serious health risk to puppies, and can also be spread to humans. Note that children are especially at risk due to reduced hygiene and immunity.
Worming is required every two weeks from age 2-12 weeks, and then monthly until 6 months of age.
After this, intestinal worming should be given every three months for life or can be given monthly with heartworm treatment products.
We recommend Milpro or Drontal tablets/chews.

Dogs that eat reptiles and amphibians (eg. lizards, geckos, frog), may become infected with a particular type of tapeworm (Spirometra) which requires a higher dosage of tapeworming.

FLEAS AND TICKS
Fleas can cause serious irritation and allergies to our pets (and humans too). Only 5% of the flea population lives on the animal – the other 95% are in the environment. If you have seen fleas or flea dirt on your puppy, this indicates an infestation is at hand and treatment of all animals and the home environment is required.
Paralysis ticks are life threatening and are a huge problem for our pets here in Queensland. They inject a neurological toxin which can paralyse the respiratory muscles causing death. There are very effective products available now which prevent both fleas and ticks.
We recommend:
Nexgard: a once a month chewable tablet.
Bravecto: available as a chewable tablet that prevents fleas and ticks for 3 months, or as a topical spot on that lasts for 6 months.

PET INSURANCE:
We understand that vet bills can be unexpected and expensive. Insuring your pet can cost as little as a cup of coffee per week and can help relieve the financial strain of responsible pet care. It is easiest to take out insurance before any pre-existing conditions are present, so now is a great time!

MICROCHIPPING
This is a radio frequency chip smaller than a grain of rice which is inserted via a needle between the shoulder blades. The chip stores a number which can be used to find owner’s contact details through an online registry and should your pet escape, we can help find his/her home again. It is important to keep your contact details up to date should you ever change your address or phone number. In Queensland, it is a legal requirement for all dogs to be microchipped between 8-12 weeks of age. Any dog which is sold or given away must be microchipped (responsibility on the seller or person giving away the animal).

DESEXING
There are many benefits of desexing including a reduction in cancer incidence, prevention of unwanted litters and a reduction in sexually driven behaviours such as aggression, mounting and marking. We recommend desexing around six months of age, before the first season in a female and before sexually driven behaviour starts in males. Note that there are no benefits to animals having a litter before being desexed (in fact, the opposite is true!).
If you have any questions about your puppy’s health care or training, please feel free to phone and talk to one of our nurses at any time!

Tingalpa Puppy school